Indiana Family Law & Criminal Defense Lawyers

Home 9 Family Law 9 3 ways to handle holiday traditions after divorce

3 ways to handle holiday traditions after divorce

by | Sep 27, 2022 | Family Law

With your children back to school and the holiday season right around the corner, you might wonder how to handle the family traditions you maintained pre-divorce. Especially if it is the first season after your divorce, you might want to plan far in advance.

Think about how to handle your past holiday traditions while exploring the new changes in your family dynamics post-divorce in the following ways.

1. Form a holiday visitation schedule with your ex.

Created a shared parenting plan with your ex-spouse that incorporates holiday custody plans. You can choose a variety of methods to share the holidays:

  • Split schedule (e.g., sharing time with both parents on Thanksgiving)
  • Alternating schedule (e.g., you have Halloween and the other parent has Thanksgiving)
  • Double schedule (e.g., choosing two different days to celebrate Christmas)

2. Incorporate new activities.

Adding new activities during the fall and winter months can help distract you and your children from the divorce. You will create new traditions while you experience positive changes in your life. Some fun family activities you can introduce to your children include:

  • Creating a themed scavenger hunt
  • Baking new treats
  • Holiday karaoke
  • Visiting a local park to sled
  • Forage for supplies to make ornaments (e.g., decorated pinecones)
  • Hosting a slumber party under your Christmas tree

3. Stay busy on days without your children.

To avoid loneliness on days without your children, reach out to your loved ones in advance to see if they can include you in their plans. You could also occupy your time by starting a new hobby or volunteering in your community.

Planning how you and your children will spend the holiday season may help alleviate stress and heartache as you enter this festive time of year.

***Please note: This page is not intended to give specific legal advice but is meant for information purposes only. Contact us to discuss your case***